Here my trusty Singer 221 can be seen working a buttonhole. My little girl loves to climb up on the chair, prop herself behind me with arms about my neck and watch me work . For buttonholes she will sometimes huddle on my knee as the machine works it’s magic.
This sunsuit will be one of my gifts to my little girl who has her second birthday in a few weeks time. The pressure is on to get such projects finished, get the house looking a bit more orderly and plan a suitable morning tea menu for our visitors. And perhaps a few games to make it more ‘party’ like.
If anyone is interested in sewing lace or more accurately, net curtains with the 221, my adjustable hemming fit was awesome, last weekend. I will caveat that by saying I have two adjustable hemming feet, and one foot kept snagging net on the tooth. Painstaking… The other was a breeze. So do test before you go hell for leather.
Love my Singer 221.
Another useful titbit from the UK Women’s Weekly
Dressmaking renovation notes from the
UK Women’s Weekly magazine, September 1949… A clever titbit for the vintage fashionista.
Trying to finish a 1940s gingham day dress, searching for the perfect button. Most of these were thrifted. My little girl loves helping me sort these little goodies. I love pretty old glass and crystal too, wonderful for sewing inspiration.
I finished this ‘cherry delight’ dress last Summer. With daddy’s birthday (cake at home) it’s the perfect time to pull it out! Play time 1940s style!
Note: dress was longer than current styles but I think it was true to era and quite sweet, actually.
What it cost to sew… Vogue Pattern prices in late 1948/early 1949. Couturier patterns cost $2, a princely sum of money at the time. The leaflet was included in one of my Vogue counter catalogue. Interestingly, not all patterns were available in this country and the designs were stamped “unavailable”.
The above image was from one of my L’officiel magazines, 1949. I am currently making a muslin of a 1949 Simplicity Designer pattern with this kind of collar which had been adapted from the French.
I found an article in the Australian Home Journal (May 1950) which discusses the trend, below for your viewing pleasure. Happy sewing!